Today we are opening the Call for Speakers for TBEX Asia/Pacific 2016 in the Philippines. Our venue for the event is the Philippines Convention Center.
We are always looking for new speakers from around the world for our events. We are especially interested in speakers who are blogging in Asia/Pacific.
If you are serious about speaking at TBEX, please read this information thoroughly before submitting a speaking proposal. We want speakers who are commited to sharing with the TBEX community and being a participant at the event.
Speaking at TBEX is a lot of fun and is a way to grow your influence and continue to establish your expertise. It does, however, require a time commitment. To help you decide if you can make the commitment that speaking at TBEX involves, we offer some preliminary information:
- Speakers should plan to arrive in Manila no later than October 13th, 2016.
- We recommend that speakers who are also bloggers allow a few days before and after the conference dates to enjoy the pre- and post- tours and activities, along with Blogger FAM trips. Information about these opportunities will be announced soon.
SELECTING A TOPIC
Your submission is your chance to make a great first impression, and understanding our programming format and our professional development needs will help you do that. Here are some more indepth tips to help you WOW us with your idea:
- TBEX break out sessions are 50 minutes in length and should allow time for questions and answers. Please do not suggest a topic idea with a different time format as we will be unable to consider it.
- We have the most need for intermediate to advance topics. The level of experience and knowledge of our attendees has grown substantially over the years and this means that narrower topics, with a deeper focus, will be the most useful. Most of our attendees are sophisticated at creating content and running a business. They are looking for how to improve what they are doing, rather than looking for a primer or basic how-to.
- We have four categories of break out sessions that we are looking to fill and your submission must fit into one of these categories. For bloggers: Content (this is about working on our craft), Commerce (this is about building strong businesses), and Community (this is about building robust communities around our craft and business). We also offer content for Travel Industry Professionals in our TBEX Business tracks.
- Advanced sessions are for attendees who have mastered core competencies in a subject matter, who have likely been blogging for some time, and who have created a business that incorporates their blogging activities in some way. Advanced sessions are designed for bloggers who are looking to fine tune their businesses, a chance to discover one little thing that can tweak and improve what they are already successful at. Think of an advanced session as a training camp for Olympic athletes – attendees may already know the information, you’re just helping them find a new way of looking at it or using it. Demonstrating that you understand what an advanced session is will be a key factor when we review submissions.
- A great way to get our attention is to submit a topic that you haven’t seen covered before or that you would like to tackle from a new angle. It is much harder to have a submission accepted when there are dozens of potential speakers submitting the same idea. For reference, working with brands is the topic we get the most submissions on.
- If you’d like some assistance in fine tuning your topic idea, I’m happy to help. You can email me here, and we can discuss via email, phone call, or Skype chat. This is not a guarantee that your session idea will be selected, however I can help point you in the right direction.
- We are a media conference, not a consumer one. We do not schedule consumer travel content.
SUBMITTING YOUR PROPOSAL
After you have your idea fully fleshed out, you are ready to submit your idea via our speaker form (link at bottom of this post). Here are some tips for filling on the speaker submission form:
- All speaker submissions must be submitted via the submission form.
- To fill out the form, you will need basic biographical information, links to your social media accounts, a headshot, along with other information to help us understand your expertise in the subject area.
- Prepare a short and catchy description of your session idea. This should be developed enough so that an attendee will understand what the session is about.
- List a minimum of 2-3 takeaways that someone would be able to implement shortly after returning home. We are looking for specific and actionable items that you will share with your audience, rather than secret tips that you aren’t willing to reveal.
- Successful submissions show that you have thought about your topic idea with a laser-like focus, narrowing it down to a manageable amount of information.
- Consider the best format and presentation style for your session. We can accommodate solo presentations, co-presentations, and panels. For presentations with multiple speakers, we prefer to have speakers from different blogs, businesses, etc., as it provides differing opinions and viewpoints on a topic. Keep in mind that we may suggest a co-presenter who we think can help round out the information.
- We expect speakers to submit a guest blog post for the TBEX blog, and to promote their participation at TBEX.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
There are a variety of things that we look for when we review speaker submissions. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- We are always looking for new speakers for our events and are excited to bring fresh new ideas to our community. While it varies at each event, we usually have 40-50% first time speakers on our program every single event. When you attend TBEX you will see some familiar faces on the stage – and you’ll also see a lot of faces new to the TBEX stage.
- We are looking for speakers from Asia/Pacific.
- It helps to be an expert on your topic, but that alone isn’t enough. You also need to be great speaker. We recognize there are a number of different speaking styles, just as there a number of different learning styles, and we don’t want carbon copies on the stage. If you know that you’re a subject matter expert with little speaking experience, partner up with someone who has speaking experience, even if they might not be as knowledgeable as you on the topic. If you’re an experienced speaker, but new to TBEX, consider partnering with a speaker who might have a better understanding of what we’re looking for.
- Preference is given to speakers who will attend and participate in the entire TBEX event. If for some reason you are not able to do so, please make a note of this in your submission form. This is not a deal breaker, but we need to know in advance.
- The topic must be relevant for an audience in Asia/Pacific.
- Your session should not be a product pitch, nor promotional for your blog, company, or services. Promotion and buzz about your company will naturally flow from delivering a high quality session. Attendees complain – and loudly – about sessions that are self-promoting.
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION
- Our speaker agreement prohibits speakers from promoting or attending any events that conflict with official TBEX programming. This includes pre- and post- events and blogger FAM trips. If you have a special situation, please let us know well in advance and we’ll see if we can make it work.
- We do not pay a speaker fee.
- All speakers receive complimentary registration. We do not cover expenses beyond registration for industry attendees.
- Coverage of blogger expenses (round trip economy class transportation and four nights of accommodations) will be discussed upon confirmation of a speaking slot, and will be based on information provided in your submission. Transportation is provided to and from TBEX, and is not covered for personal or other onward travel. Should you not need travel expenses covered, please let us know in your submission.
- It often takes numerous submissions attempts before an idea is ripe for selection. Don’t give up if a previous idea was turned down.
- We want the experience to be just as enjoyable for you as a speaker as it is for all of our attendees. If you have a situation that requires special handling, please let us know on your speaker form or at the time of confirmation. We want great speakers at TBEX and we want you to be successful. If you have questions or need assistance in this process, please ask.
Now, it’s time to hone your great idea down to a manageable 50-minute bite and submit your idea for a great TBEX session.