Yellowstone National Park and the Wild West Experience
Number of Participants: Maximum of ten attendees – ground transportation, lodging, meals and activities provided
Start Point: September 14 with pick-up at Billings Hotel
End Point: September 19 with drop-off at Billings Hotel
Transportation: Transportation provided from time of pick-up at Billings Hotel on Day 1 until time of drop-off at Billings Hotel on Day 6. Vehicle type is a 15-passenger van.
Note: This is an adventure-based tour. Hiking shoes and proper clothing are recommended.
Description: Beginning and ending in Billings, Montana – home to Austin Adventures’ headquarters – this western adventure takes you to where “we locals” love to play. Start off spending a few days in Cody, Wyoming to experience the Wild West at its finest. Then, it’s onward to Yellowstone where we explore some of the more famous features of our world’s first national park and a few hidden gems that few get to see. The trip ends with a journey over the iconic, yet relatively undiscovered Beartooth Highway, allowing passage to our favorite mountain town of Red Lodge, Montana.
A sampling of items on the agenda:
- Take a behind-the-scenes tour of Zoo Montana, meeting characters like Bruno, the Bear and Bert, the Bison.
- Retrace the tracks of John Colter, Jeremiah Johnson, and Buffalo Bill on a whitewater rafting trip through Red Rock Canyon just outside of Cody.
- Tour the world class Buffalo Bill Center of the West, a complex of five museums that weaves the varied threads of western experience together into a rich panorama that is the American West.
- Explore our world’s first national park alongside knowledgeable tour leaders who will guide you through an unforgettable Yellowstone experience.
- Hike along the shoreline of North America’s largest high alpine lake, Lake Yellowstone, and trek along the edge of one of the most scenic canyons in the world: the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River.
- Witness an eruption of Old Faithful geyser, the most popular geothermal feature on planet Earth.
- Wake early to catch a sunrise and prime wildlife viewing in Yellowstone’s Lamar Valley.
- Saddle up for a true Montana experience horseback riding along the trails of the Gallatin National Forest and Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness.
- Drive the Beartooth Highway – a National Scenic Byways All-American Road – as we make our way from the tiny town of Cooke City to the mountain town of Red Lodge.