The emblem of the BMA represents a figure from Thai mythology, Phra Indra, the keeper of Amara-wadee, carrying his three-bladed weapon and seated atop a white elephant, whose four ivory tusks denote celestial status. The emblem symbolizes that the Governor of Bangkok, like Phra Indra, heads the capital and provides leadership to further the welfare of the city’s residents.
The BMA emblem was first used during the term of office of Bangkok’s first Governor, General, Chao Phraya Ramarakop (1937-1938).
The BMA emblem can be seen on BMA vehicles, at the site of public works and improvement programs, and wherever it is serving the public through numerous and varied activities. It is Bangkok’s‘Symbol of Service.
“Bangkok” or “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon” was established as the capital city of Thailand in 1782, the year King Rama I ascended the throne. During the reign of King Rama V, the territorial administration of the country was reformed between 1894-1906 into a number of areas called “Monthon”.
Bangkok was in Monthon Krung Thep, which was under the Ministry of Urban Affairs. In 1922, the Ministry of Urban Affairs was merged with the Ministry of Interior. The administration of Bangkok, under a modified Monthon system, was carried on until 1932. In 1933, two Acts were legislated and affected the administration of Bangkok: The Thai Administration Act and the Municipal Government Act. Under these acts, Bangkok became a province call Krung Thep province.
On the 21st December 1971, National Executive Council Order Number 24 was proclaimed which merged Krung Thep province and Thon Buri province into a single province called the “Krung Thep and Thon Buri Metropolis. “ At the same time, National Executive Council Order Number 25 merged the Bangkok Municipality and The Thon Buri Municipality into the “Metropolitan City Municipality.”
In 1972, National Executive Council Order Number 335 reorganized the form of local government in the metropolis by amalgamating the activities of the Metropolis of Krung Thep and Thon Buri, The Krung Thep and Thon Buri Provincial Administrations, the Metropolitan City Municipality and Sanitation Administration into the “Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).”
In December 1981, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Act 1975 was amended.
The amendment stipulated that Governor and Deputy Governors of the BMA should be appointed by the Minister of Interior until the new Act of the BMA came into effect. On the 31st of August 1985, the new Act of the BMA came into effect. According to the Act, the Governor is elected by popular vote and four Deputy Governors are appointed by the Governor for a four-year term. The Bangkok Metropolitan Council comprises elected members. The number Council members depends on the population of Bangkok. At the District level, District Council is also elected and its members
will be at least 7 depending on population in the District. The Bangkok Metropolitan Council and District Council, each has a four-year term.
For more information about Bangkok : http://www.bangkok.go.th/