Announcing TBEX Europe 2014 in Athens, Greece

We are thrilled to announce Athens, Greece as our host destination for TBEX Europe 2014. TBEX Athens will be held at the Megaron Conference Center October 23-25, 2014.

Athens, Greece.

What’s the first thing that comes to your mind?

acropolis parthenon athens greece

Are you envisioning the great philosophers, Socrates, Plato and Aristotle? Or perhaps Pericles, supervising the construction of the Parthenon? Are you reminded of scenes from the popular movies 300 and Troy? Are you thinking about history, and the battle of Thermopylae, the hero Achilles, and the Trojan horse?

Or do you picture modern day Athens, surrounded by mountains and stunning coastlines (38 miles of Athenian Riviera) with its luxury hotels and spas, restaurants, cinemas, sport centers, and ultra-modern shopping centers with high fashion boutiques?

Located at the crossroads of Europe, Africa, and the Middle East, Athens has been continuously inhabited for nearly 7,000 years and is one of the oldest cities in the World. Among other things, Athens has been called the “cradle of civilization”, and is known as the birthplace of democracy, western philosophy, the Olympic Games, political science, Western literature, and theater.

In today’s Athens, you will find ancient and modern life exist side-by-side.  From Constitution Square and the world-class boutiques around Monastiraki Square to the historic Plaka district, and the old traditional flea market, full of butchers, fishmongers, herb and spice stores, cheese shops, and random ouzo joints.

Athenians dine late and offer an incredible nightlife. You can choose from folk dancing performances, trendy bars, and fashionable nightclubs, to bouzouki (think Oktoberfest) and rembetika music (Grecian blues).

You can easily and safely walk the city center. The metro system is easy to use and inexpensive. Athens International Airport (ATH) has direct service to more than 65 destinations, with connections to the rest of the world. The airport connects to the city via an express bus service that runs 24/7.

In just a few hours, or less, you can enjoy one of the many ancient and historical sites like Poseidon Temple in Cape Sounion, Delphi and Mycenae, as well as the breathtakingly romantic Greek isles. The islands off the coast of the Argosaronic Gulf, Aigina, Hydra, Poros, Spetses, and Mykonos, are popular destinations among the Athenians, and are ideal for one-day getaways.

If it’s food you’re interested in, you’re sure to appreciate Athens’ booming gastronomic scene where Mediterranean fusions open up new gourmet flavors. And, there is incredible Greek wine, beer, and spirits to sample as well.

For all of the above reasons and thousands more Athens promises to offer an epic TBEX experience.

Our Hosts

Our host for TBEX Athens is the Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau. They’ll be joining together with additional partners around the city and Greece to create another memorable destination experience for TBEX Athens attendees.

We will announce pre and post-TBEX day trips, FAMS, and other special events, as soon as we have details for you – so plan to come early and stay late in order to get the most out of your TBEX Athens trip.

Our Conference Venue

The TBEX Athens workshops and educational sessions will be held at The Megaron:  Athens International Conference Centre.

The Megaron is situated in the heart of Athens, and is within walking distance to many major hotels. Major museums, shops and fine dining are all just minutes away. The Megaron is easily accessible by bus, trolley or Metro for those staying farther away.

Hotels

Accommodations to fit most every budget are available around the city. We’ll be putting up a hotel page as soon as that information is available.

The Program

We’ll have a full schedule of TBEX events, including workshops on October 23rd, education programming on October 24-25th, two sessions of speed networking, and plenty of great social events.

The call for speakers will go out in the next couple of days, so read these tips on how to become a speaker at TBEX and start thinking about what you’d like to share with TBEX Athens attendees. Remember, we are a business-to-business event, so consumer travel topics aren’t a good fit for us.

Registration

Super early bird registration is NOW OPEN.

Comments

1. Athens, Greece. So many things to do. So many romantic beaches to visit. So many ouzo joints to try. This is definitely going to be an Epic Adventure! See y’all there!

2. I’m so excited, what a great location!

3. This is such great news! Super-excited 🙂

4. First thing that comes to mind is….wrong time of the year to enjoy Greece. Islands are closing down. Beaches are getting cold. Why did they choose the end of October???????

• We are always in the shoulder season for any destination. October has really great weather in Athens. Like 65 degree average. People are still swimming in the sea that time of year sometimes even into November.

• I was there in late October last year. Athens was busy + the weather was mild, but the islands were deserted, cold, windy and all but shut down by the 3rd week of the month. Nevertheless, I hope to return for this year’s event.

• Greece is not only the islands. It is wrong that the Greek National Tourism Organisation promotes only the islands. Greece is primarily a mountainous country with more than 300 larger or smaller mountains. The most significant Greek mountain next to Athens is Mount Parnassos with its beautiful Ski Centre. Which is the number one destination for all Greeks and specially for the Atheneans during the Autumn and winter. The Greek mountains are characterized by their diversity, rare scenery and unique forests, some of which rank among the oldest natural wooded lands in Europe. Due to the unsurpassable rich flora and fauna, many are protected as National Parks, while at the same time the infrastructure that was developed over the last few decades has created ideal destinations for those daring tourists who want to enjoy winter and mountain activities. so in just 1.30 hours north east of Athens you can enjoy the National Park of Parnassos. Thanks kaloussa from http://www.skamnos.com

5. Does this mean there won’t be a TBEX in North America this summer?

• Mary Jo Manzanares says:

We’ll still have a North America event, Sharon. I just sent you an email, so take a look for it.

6. “I know that I know nothing” – Socrates.
    I’ll have a sense of Athens and Greece after TBEX Europe 2014.

7. Athens, Greece? History. Culture.
    I’m ready to go! Any word on the location of TBEX NA?

• Mary Jo Manzanares says:

We’re not quite ready to make that announcement, but hope that you’ll be excited with our Europe choice while we put the finishing touches on our North America venue.

8. Woo Hoo! Just bought my ticket. Fabulous location, so excited!

9. That sounds amazing! I have always wanted to go to Greece. If I find that I can’t make it, am I able to transfer my TBEX pass to another blogger?

• Mary Jo Manzanares says:

Your pass is transferable for the full amount of the purchase price. The person to whom you are transfering the pass would apply that value to the then existing purchase price.

10. As an expat who’s lived in Greece for 6 years now – I am proud that Athens is hosting tbex in October! It’ll be the first opportunity I’ve had to ever attend one, and as a blogger who’s now getting really serious, this has come at such a great time for me.
    Can’t wait! And I can’t wait to meet so many like-minded people.

• Mary Jo Manzanares says:

I’m looking forward to meeting you and to getting to know why you love Greece so much.

11. As a Greek American (who holds both passports) I couldn’t be more thrilled to hear this news!!! So many things come to mind when I think of my numerous trips to Greece over the years and you’ve done a wonderful job highlighting the storied history of Ancient Greece and discussing modern Greek culture. For me, the first thing that comes to mind is my family and the current economic crisis- so holding TBEX in Greece will be a wonderful reminder to the world that Athens is still a fantastic place to visit. It’s been a few years since I’ve visited my family and this is an awesome reason to head back!!! I can’t imagine missing this 🙂

• Mary Jo Manzanares says:

It will be a wonderful opportunity to help the world see Greece as a travel destination worth a visit. I’m so happy that we’re heading to your homeland and glad you’ll be joining us there.

12. Ticket bought! Can’t wait! It has been on the bucket list for far too long!

13. We were super excited to hear it’s in Greece! As fate would have it, we’ll be in the UK region then, so it was a no brainer to book. Last year’s TBEX in Dublin (my first) was phenomenal, so I’m bringing my partner (and fellow content creator) with me this time. See you all there 🙂

14. Really enjoyed last years event in Dublin. Hope Athens is as equally outstanding!

• Mary Jo Manzanares says:

I’m confident that Athens will be pulling out all the stops to welcome us all. Looking forward to seeing you there.

15. Soooo excited but can you clarify for me “so plan to come early and stay late in order to get the most out of your TBEX Athens trip.” What does early/late mean? a couple days before/after or the week before/after or more?

Planning and early ticket purchase and booking prices are paramount to getting there or not so this would definitely help…if you can provide at this time.

• Mary Jo Manzanares says:

We’ll have some pre and post-TBEX events, including blogger trips, day tours and experiences, and a variety of other options regarding things happening around the city. It will be awhile before these are all organized and put into place, but we hope there will be things that make you want to extend your stay in Athens or the surrounding area. We know that people will be looking to make travel plans, so we’ll announce these activities just as soon as we know.

• Thanks so much for writing back…can you suggest based on past TBEX events how many days prior to and post should I cater for?
        Just as a guide to us…it would be appreciated.
        Thanks

16. Very exciting! I’m relatively new to travel blogging, have been traveling the world for 20 years…but no Greece yet! Really looking forward to meeting this amazing community of travel bloggers in person!

17. How fantastic…We’re in Europe at this time of the year so I’m looking forward to finally making it to my first TBEX

18. I’ll be in Spain for a month prior to TBEX. You can bet that I jumped at the chance to hop on board a plane and fly to Athens. This is going to be an outstanding adventure. See ya all there!

19. My first TBEX and what a WOW location! Am so excited to join the TBEX family finally. Look forward to seeing you all in Athens. Cheers!

• Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau says:

Dear Sankara, We are excited to have you join us in Athens. We hope you have a wonderful visit.

20. This will be my first TBEX as well as my first trip to Athens. I’m really looking forward to seeing what TBEX all about as I heard good things about Dublin last year, and it will be great to explore Athens too.

• Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau says:

Dear Gretta, we are excited to have you join us here in Athens and explore our city.

21. After a spectacular Dublin TBEX last year, I have just signed up to attend TBEX Athens. What an ideal destination!
    This time I’ll be taking Dr. J of Sidewalk Safari (http://www.sidewalksafari.com) on our first trip to Greece. Looking forward to October!.

• Athens Convention & Visitors Bureau says:

Dear Scott, we are excited that you will be joining us in Athens this fall!

22. I was sold the moment the location was posted and registration opened. Can’t wait!!!

23. It is going to be my First time in Greece, I look forward to join and learn.

24. What a wonderful location to host TBEX! I attended TBEX in Toronto and had a great time meeting and networking with fellow travel bloggers. The speakers were top-notch and it was a fantastic learning opportunity. Can’t wait to visit beautiful Greece for the first time.

25. Would be lovely to attend my first blogger conference, but well..if I don’t make it to Greece this year..I will try next years conference..

Trackbacks

1. […] Read original article here: Announcing TBEX Europe 2014 in Athens, Greece […]

2. […] be in Athens October 23-25 for TBEX14 Europe, the travel blog exchange conference. Looking forward to the trip. This will be my first time […]