Yellowstone National Park Lodges is the authorized in-park lodging concessioner in the world’s first national park. As part of our parent company, Xanterra Travel Collection, we’ve been in Yellowstone since 1980.
The Yellowstone operation includes 9 lodging facilities (more than 2,300 rooms/cabins), more than 30 food and beverage operations, gift shops, tours and activities. Accommodations range from new LEED certified lodge buildings at Canyon Lodge & Cabins to National Historic Landmarks, including the Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Old Faithful Inn. Since we were awarded our latest contract in December 2013, been very active in facilities renovations and service enhancements. In fact, by the end of 2019, we will have invested over $200 million toward this effort.
A core value of Xanterra is sustainability, and we strive to deliver quality service and products with the least environmental impact. With any facility construction or renovation, our goal is to achieve at least a LEED (US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver certification. Examples of this effort include:
· Teal Employee Residence (Gold) 2018
· Haynes Administration Building (Gold) 2017
· Chittenden, Hayden, Moran, and Rhyolite Lodges (Gold) 2016
· Washburn Lodge (Silver) 2016
· Paintbrush Employee Residence (Platinum) 2015
· Gardiner Employee Housing (Certified) 2004. This was the first LEED project in the state of Montana
And who says good food can’t be good for you and the environment? In Yellowstone, each hotel/lodge features a different menu and culinary approach. An emphasis on sustainable cuisine has been welcomed by the millions of guests eating in our restaurants annually. Where possible, Yellowstone National Park Lodges offers menu items – food and drink – that are sustainably, organically and/or locally produced (For Yellowstone, “local” is considered within 500 miles.) In 2018, 60% of food purchases were considered sustainable. Our goal is to achieve 70% sustainable sourcing by 2025.
In addition, Lu Harlow, our Director of Food & Beverage, has made it her mission to support local family-owned farms and ranches however possible. Beef, pork, lamb, and produce are increasingly sourced from local producers.
Additional sustainability achievements include:
· Green Seal™ Lodging Gold-level Certification of Lake Yellowstone Hotel, 2016
· Yellowstone’s environmental management system has maintained ISO 14001 certification since 2004
· Green Restaurant Association Certification: Mammoth Hotel Dining Room (4-Star level, first in the National Park Service)
· In 2018, 54% of all sold waste was recycled or composted (that’s equivalent to 1,485 bull bison, or almost 3 million pounds)
· In 2018, more than 65% of gift sales were of sustainably sourced items
· In 2018, more than 59% of available gift items were Made in America
Xanterra Travel Collection is proud to operate in other national parks as well, including Glacier, Zion, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain, and Mount Rushmore. Additionally, the collection includes The Oasis at Death Valley, The Grand Hotel (outside Grand Canyon NP), the Grand Canyon Railway and Hotel, Cedar Creek Lodge (outside Glacier NP) Windstar Cruises, VBT Bicycling and Walking Vacations, Country Walkers, and Holiday Vacations. We invite you to explore Xanterra’s World of Unforgettable Experiences!